Friday, June 12, 2020

QUESTION AUTHORITY, THINGS TAKEN FOR GRANTED, AND ME

Question Authority, reality, and yourself. And savor the answers. Question the answers, and how you got them. Question the internet, your neighbor, the thing your cousin heard from someone who knew someone. The whole universe is this quivering, constantly changing mass, so why would any of us take as truth something we have not experienced first hand? I even question some of the things I have been a part of, as memory is not always accurate, and just because we are in a room doesn't mean we see with 360 vision. And please, don't take my word for it. Don't take Google's word for it. Don't even take your word for it. Or if you have several words for it, any of them. Question the answers you found yesterday. Open your third, fourth, and fifth eyes, and look around. Verify what you can, which is probably not a lot, but better than nothing. We are living in a time of change, of flux. And as we all know, in times of flux, don't drive 88 or you will travel through time and mess up reality. Maybe that's what happened. Someone finally figured out how to time travel, and we have been suffering the consequences. Maybe this whole year, or even the past three years since the election that divided us so thoroughly, will all fade away like a bad dream, and we won't be able to fully remember it, as soon as Marty McFly or his equivalent goes back to the future and fixes this mess. But until she or he does, we are experiencing this version of reality, and we must question everything. Not just question it, interview it, had a podcast with it, and serve up doughnuts and a gluten-free alternative. Let's not just critically think, let's critically think with style and elan. With joy and a sense of humor.

And when I say question, I don't mean just google it. That's fine, but just another large, strange group of folks you don't know personally, have no personal connection with, and all too often just accepted as gospel. I have been in several places so far in my life that were noteworthy, on the news, big things that happened that were reported on national and international news. The earthquake in the Bay Area in 1989; the Rodney King riots, NYC for 9/11, and so on. And when I read about those times, or watch reports of them, often there are things that are either not covered, or given in a context that seems off. Like there is a narrative that is trying to be met, as opposed to a truth being sought. And here we are, in the most historic time of our lives, I think it's safe to say, and there are all sorts of versions of what's going on being pedaled by all sorts of people. I think we need to question them all. Ask how is giving this information and why are they giving it. Do they have a narrative to fit? A product to sell? An agenda to achieve? Probably. We all share stories and information for some reason. But too often, we assume that whomever is telling us something is merely inspired to tell us what is going on in the world for the sheer joy of it.

I write this blog for me. To clarify my thoughts. To explore my feelings. And to connect with you all because that gives me joy. I do have an agenda. I want the world to be groovier, kinder, happier, funnier, better. I want to shake things up, even the slightest bit, because even in this upside down universe, I sense too much complacency. Although, to be honest, I sense that complacency retreating, weakening. I see people waking up. Taking walks. Putting down their phones. I think a lot of people are asking questions, of themselves and their reality.

Don't take my word for it. Go out and make your own conclusions.

Here's a song. It's Free Yourself by The Untouchables.


No comments:

A PIRATE'S LIFE, AN ACTOR'S LIFE, MY LIFE.

I find meaning everywhere. Not just in books and music and movies and myths, but in moments I witness as I stroll through this world.  Meani...