Tuesday, March 2, 2021

RUNNING WITH THE DEVIL

So right now I am rehearsing, in various capacities, a couple of shows. It is hard, with social distancing and masks and all that. But not impossible. Nothing much seems impossible, really. Immortality. Talking sense to Trump supporters. Incontrovertible proof of Bigfoot. But other than those, most things are in the realm of doable, with a little work. And I feel like these times make the need to do things that might seem difficult greater. Like somehow, by doing what is hard, we get a sense of light at the end of the tunnel and all that.


So here I am, directing an original musical with a bunch of high schoolers up in Conifer, at a theatre called StageDoor, a place I love and have been directing shows at for several years now. We were in the middle of one of my all time favs, Sweeney Todd, when the shut down hit. That was a drag, because it was going to be an amazing show. I still hope to one day get the band back together and do the damn thing, lock, stock, and barrel. But I digress. We were rehearsing last night, going over music and dances and scenes, like one does at rehearsals, and everyone seemed a little lackluster, a little not-into-it as much as they should be. So I got them all up and out and we ran around the building complex the theatre is in. This was at night up in the mountains, and it was cold. But it felt right. I ran with them, which also felt right. I didn't think it would tire me out as much as it did, but even so, it was awesome. Sometimes, you have to mix things up, take a step back and examine the world, and then run with a bunch of fellow human beings.

It reminded me that we are all here, now, and in need of being present. I know that I can sort of drift along sometimes, sort of here and sort of not. And I don't like that feeling. In fact, I think it sucks eggs. 

What was really cool about the run was how everyone seemed energized and awake and everyone was conversing and laughing and breathing hard. Friggin' awesome. I think if I hadn't run with them, it would have not been as fun, for them or me. For them, the joy of seeing me huff and puff was probably a good thing. And for me, seeing them all laughing and enjoying being in the moment was priceless.

So yay me. Sometimes, I don't suck.

I hope when we get to performances that we can have something like a real audience. And be able to stand more than six feet from one another. 

Wow. Just realized that the prescribed distance we are all asked to stay apart from each other is the same distance we usually bury our dead at. Kind of creepy.

Still, the show will be monumental, and I think we will all have more than a few good cries when we do it. Because it will be a huge affirmation of life going on, of not letting things get us down, of proving ourselves and each other that we could indeed make it through the duration, taking care of ourselves and our loved ones, and still make some art.

Yeah, it has been rough. Be we go on. We write shows and tell jokes and run through the night with glee.

Here's a song. It's Van Halen's Running with the Devil. Enjoy.



1 comment:

Songwright said...

Better six feet apart than six feet under.

A PIRATE'S LIFE, AN ACTOR'S LIFE, MY LIFE.

I find meaning everywhere. Not just in books and music and movies and myths, but in moments I witness as I stroll through this world.  Meani...