Monday, January 18, 2021

LOVE AND POSSIBILITY

It's MLK day, and I'm home, contemplating the world, the nation, and life in general. I think about Doctor King, who to me is one of the great spiritual leaders in recent history, full of kindness, love, thoughtfulness, and strength. Qualities to aspire to, and to seek for in others, particularly our leaders in the here and now. I love it that we will soon have a senator who is the pastor at the church where MLK was once the pastor. There's a symmetry to that, a circle of life kind of feel, like it was meant to be in some way. And that gives me hope.

I'm a bit of a agnostic mystic, a believer in the unknown powers behind the veil, a seeker of truth. I see messages in history, logic in nature, and a sense of the eternal in my fellow human beings from time to time, usually when they are laughing or loving or making music or art.

Today, I start another round of daily blog entries. I did them at the beginning of this new era, and it helped me process what was happening. It also got my writing brain in shape. And in general, it made me feel good. Whenever I write on a consistent basis, I feel happier, more in tune with myself and the world, better prepared to face the day, and always more productive.

In the first batch of daily blog entries, I wrote several drafts of a new screenplay. From scratch. And I think it's pretty damn good.

Who knows what will come of  this round? 

So, I was thinking this morning how there is no going back to the way things were before. I think that is always true, in any time, but somehow I think we are all hoping that just this once we can have that be possible. Have it be that we can wake up and realize this was all just a very long, complicated dream, and that there was no global pandemic, that there was no sacking of the Capitol, that the entire way we view ourselves and our world didn't really change forever and ever amen. 

But such is not the case. We live in constant flux. Always have, always will. And that's a good thing, I believe. I have had times in my life that have been rough, and times that have been shockingly wonderful. But they all move along, blend together, become something else.

I think embracing change is necessary to live properly. Because, regardless of what we desire, change is relentless. 

So, embrace the change. Dance with it. Ride it like a wave, and see where it takes you.

Today, it's taking me to the Botanic Gardens, and maybe Indian food, and into a screenplay, a series outline, and a musical. 

And today, I hope it also leads me to love and acceptance and change of a positive nature, in the spirit of MLK. He lived in rough times. He dealt with way more than I have had to deal with. And yet, he exuded love and possibility. 

Here's a song. It's Sam Cooke singing Jesus Gave Me Water.




No comments:

A PIRATE'S LIFE, AN ACTOR'S LIFE, MY LIFE.

I find meaning everywhere. Not just in books and music and movies and myths, but in moments I witness as I stroll through this world.  Meani...