Wednesday, January 20, 2021

WHAT A DIFFERENCE FOUR YEARS CAN MAKE

Four years ago, I was marching with a million plus people in DC.  We didn't break any windows, or kill any policeman. We simply wanted to make our voices heard. I think that's what you're supposed to do. Speak your truth, stand up to power, and not be crazy. It was a fantastic day, and made the idea of Trump as being charge a little easier to take. There was solidarity. Like minded individuals. Freedom and hope. 

I had just gotten my first screenwriting gig, and so was able to fly both Lisa and myself out there from Denver. We were both still in shock from that election, that horrible, strange election when the world seemed to turn upside down. Lisa knitted Pussy Hats, and off we went. 

I have never seen so many people in one place. I went to the first US Festival, lived in NYC for over a decade, saw Obama speak in 2008. Nothing compared to that crowd. 

Since then, we have seen so much. So many crazy, scary, maddening events. Charlottesville. George Floyd. A global pandemic. And most recently, the sacking of the Capitol. At times these past four years, I have felt like I was losing my mind. Or in the middle of one of those nightmares where you know you're dreaming but can't wake yourself up.

And then, today, I awoke.

I saw grace and glory and pride and respect front and center. 

I saw Kamala Harris, the first woman ever elected to national office, get sworn in as Vice President. I Lady Gaga and JLo sing songs of love and inspiration. I heard an amazing poet read a breathtaking piece. And I heard Joe Biden give the most happily received political speech in recent memory. 

I saw a new day dawn in the nation's imagination.

As some of you may know, I'm an Eagle Scout. I am a hippie, free thinking liberal commie pinko, but I am also a Boy Scout. I love the flag, American history, and this country. I got all three citizenship merit badges: Citizenship in the Community; Citizenship in the Nation; and Citizenship in the World. And I took them seriously. Sadly, Scouting these days has become politicized and is mostly influenced by the right wing of our world. But at least in my troop, back in the late 1970s and early 1980s, scouting was all about exploring the world, and figuring out your place in it. 

I have a deep love of democracy, inclusiveness, and the politics of the possible.

I was taught to try and be trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient,  cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent. I don't always manage to be all those things. But I try.

I don't think our last POTUS was any of those things. 

For those who voted for him, all I have to say is: Grab Them by the Pussy.

Lament your loss, but don't forget, he said that. And meant it. 

OK. Maybe that wasn't too friendly. Or courteous or kind. 

But to say I don't think he was and is a foul person with no moral fortitude would make me untrustworthy.

For today's song, I'm sharing a video I took of this woman who was at the Women's March. She was over 90 and a Quaker, and exuded strength and grace. Enjoy.


And as a bonus, here's Copeland's Lincoln Portrait




No comments:

A PIRATE'S LIFE, AN ACTOR'S LIFE, MY LIFE.

I find meaning everywhere. Not just in books and music and movies and myths, but in moments I witness as I stroll through this world.  Meani...