Friday, February 11, 2022

INFLATE YOURSELVES

I don't understand inflation all that much. Or the economy in general, really. Seems like people work, they get paid, they buy things they need, and things they don't, and live their lives. And behind that, there are these powerful companies and individuals who control a lot of it. Banks, Oil companies, Big Pharma. 

I like money, but I think some people love it more than anything else. Or think they do. Maybe they just think that having enough money will fill in that empty spot in their heart or soul of being or whatever you want to call it. Which is sad, really. Paying the bills and having food and shelter and being able to take a trip now and then is awesome, but I don't need a million dollars, five houses, a private island, or anything like that. 

Besides, even if I had any of that, I'd still be mortal. I'd still be able to hear music, feel the wind on my face, experience loss and sorrow, and die. 

We are all in the same boat, and no amount of money can fix that. 

Ever.

And yet, we keep on trying to pretend otherwise. 

We pretend a lot, I think. We pretend we are immortal. That big government don't work due to their size, but that somehow huge corporations work due to their size. 

Because Capitalism. 

I've always felt that capitalism, like communism, doesn't work because all systems that have people in the are subject to corruption.

Maybe there is a system for running the world that works but I haven't seen one yet. 

And now we have global warming and pandemics and who knows what else on the way?

So what do we do? 

Freak out about inflation. 

Yay us.

From what I do understand, inflation is the result of too much spending, leading to high prices. 

Which sounds crazy. I would think that is things are getting sold, those who sell said things would be happy. But no. Prices go up as things get sold, so wages need to increase, interest rates go down, and fingers get pointed.

And we are all still alive, still here, still working the same jobs, leading the same lives. 

I will be honest.

I don't give a shit about inflation.

Or the Dow Jones. 

Or banks or fast food chains or the minimum wage.

I like animals, arts, and people.

I also love theatre, movies, and teaching.

So that's what I do.

Here's a song. It's the Beatles doing Can't Buy Me Love, as seen in the great film A Hard Day's Night, directed by Richard Lester.


PS- I watched the film "Oh, God" from 1977 the other night. It's fucking awesome. Watch it and feel good about the world.


No comments:

A PIRATE'S LIFE, AN ACTOR'S LIFE, MY LIFE.

I find meaning everywhere. Not just in books and music and movies and myths, but in moments I witness as I stroll through this world.  Meani...