Monday, February 28, 2022

THE BATMAN WILL OPEN IN RUSSIA

I get a lot of emails. I suppose we all do. Most are semi-junk from sites I sort of follow, with updates, headlines, things to buy and so on. This morning, I got one from The Hollywood Reporter that sort of made me laugh and cringe at the same time. "The Batman Will Still Open in Russia, But What Will Happen Next?" was the subject line. 

Fucking weird.

I immediately had this vision of The Batman in Moscow, hunting Putin down and bringing him to justice, hauling him off to Arkham Asylum to hang with The Joker and The Scarecrow and Killer Croc. 

Then my mind went to Zelensky being The Batman, a crime fighting super hero with no super powers other than determination and a sense of what is right and wrong. 

And I dug that thought. 

Things are crazy, but also clarifying, I think, right now. 

Thanks Vlad.

There are a few things that are clear. 

Invading a country because you are a dickhead is bad.

Want of money and power lead people to do evil things to one another.

We are always at our best when things are at their worst.

Always.

I check the headlines of the NY Times, HuffPost, Apple News, and The Washington Post almost hourly, dreading and expecting to see that Ukraine's Batman is dead. 

But so far, that hasn't happened. 

Instead, I read about women in their 60s making Moltov Cocktails. And road signs being changed to read "Go Fuck Yourself " in Russian. And about that garrison of soldiers who told the Russian Navy to Go Fuck Itself.

Seems that Go Fuck Yourself is sort of a new national slogan. Maybe international.

I picture Zelensky/Batman, in his confrontation with Vlad the Invader, telling him to Go Fuck Himself before kicking his ass. 

I am finding this whole situation, this invasion, somehow inspiring. Giving me new found hope in humanity, in resistance, in glory and honor.

This is how you treat a bully. This is what you do to people who want to destroy the world we all share for short sighted and selfish ends. 

This is what is means to be a hero.

Okay. Off to the races. Here's a song. It's The Captain by Guster.





No comments:

A PIRATE'S LIFE, AN ACTOR'S LIFE, MY LIFE.

I find meaning everywhere. Not just in books and music and movies and myths, but in moments I witness as I stroll through this world.  Meani...