Wednesday, March 16, 2022

I DON'T FIND SHADOWS OFFENSIVE

Ah, that first week of Daylight Savings Time. 

It sucks.

Well, I am being a bit dramatic, but that's what I do. 

This week, I teach my normal classes during the week, a workshop at another school this morning, have tech week for a middle school production of A Midsummer Night's Dream which opens Friday, rehearsals for The Wedding Singer up in Conifer and Little Shop of Horrors and Chamber of Secrets up in Boulder, and leave for San Jose Sunday for a short trip to retrieve things that have been in storage for a long time. On top of that, my company is co-producing a new play which had auditions that past few days, and we are in the process of getting a new venture funded (more on that in future blogs, I'm sure).

So I'm a little groggy. Like toast with no butter that's been sitting on the counter while I take a call, I'm not quite what I want to be. 

But I'm trying.

I did have a good breakthrough with one of my scripts, and enjoyed that feeling of "Aha!" for a day or so. 

Wow. I think I am griping a bit. Which is never seemly, and all the more unseemly when you take a step back and look at what is going on in the world. The Pandemic still rages, the climate still changes, and it feels like we are on the brink of World War Three.

So, I really can't complain all that much. 

I suppose there are those who would say that complaining about the smaller things in life is a pressure valve of sorts, a way of venting our general anxiety. And I dig that. But I also firmly believe we need to keep perspective, and not be so self-involved that we inflate our problems and deflate the problems we all need to consider.

Deep thoughts, I know.

What fools these mortals be. 

I must say, working on Shakespeare with young people, who for the most part have no pre-conceived ideas about "The Bard", no bardolatry or treating it preciously or familiarity with past productions, is shockingly refreshing. It's like approaching it for the first time. And what is really cool is how, when they simply say the words, honestly and in the moment, how evenly the lines flow. How the language matches the thought process of most of us. 

Makes me happy to be alive. The story, the work, the young actors running around on stage and off. There is magic in this world, and has been since the Big Bang. 

It hides in plain sight, clear as can be, loud and pungent and mysterious and uncomplicated, all at once. 

I think that is my main theme in pretty much everything I write. Life is beautiful, and we all should realize that, but somehow get caught up in our busy schedules, hurt feelings, past trauma, over due bills and so on. Which is tragic. 

All this wonder out there, and we do our best to fuck it up, or pretend it doesn't exist. 

Well, it does. Grab it. Experience it. Share it. Eat it. 

And be cool if others don't. Or if you don't. That's my advice. I know that is a hard thing for some, and not a desired thing for others. 

That's cool too. It just doesn't make sense to me. Maybe I'm crazy. If so, boo hoo. I shall enjoy my straight jacket of joy and padded cell of art and nature and love and friendships, and will take visitors at all hours.

Party on. Game on. Flame on. 

On.

Here's a song. It's Karn Evil 9, First Impression, part 2, by Emerson, Lake and Palmer.


Also, the new show Sasquatch is co-producing is Puerto Rican Nocturne, which will play at The Bug Theatre this summer. More info HERE


No comments:

A PIRATE'S LIFE, AN ACTOR'S LIFE, MY LIFE.

I find meaning everywhere. Not just in books and music and movies and myths, but in moments I witness as I stroll through this world.  Meani...