Wednesday, March 2, 2022

MORE LOVE, LESS YELLING

In the interest of mixing it up, I am writing in a different room today. Usually, for this blog, I sit in my little den, at a desk, and write whatever comes to mind. But today, I decided to sit in the living room, on an ottoman, listening to Iris Dement. 

So far, so good. Of course, it's only a few sentences in, so this could turn out to be a train wreck. I am noticing that my typing is not as good when I'm not at the desk. And my focus wanders. But maybe that will lead me to new insights, different styles, and more. 

I think we all need to mix things up from time to time. When we don't move, we rust. We get stuck. Isn't life movement? Keep the blood flowing. Roam if you want to. Run. Leap. Also, take a different route to work. Call someone you haven't called in forever. Eat something besides the same old toast and butter for breakfast. 

Don't do new things that suck, like becoming a serial killer or anything. Just try something different.

We went to the Oscar nominated animated shorts yesterday before the State of the Union speech. They were a mixed bag. Lots of bleak, sad tales, with only one spark of joy in the bunch, really. They were all beautifully made, and worth the watch, but I do think you should be in the right frame of mind, and ready to be depressed a bit, if you go. Sort of like listening to Pink Floyd's The Wall. An awesome experience, and food for the soul, but a bit rough. The last film, in particular, was just sad. It was sort of a meditation on love, but felt more like a study of loneliness. One of the characters described love as "a secret society". And that to me was very telling. 

If Love, or rather one's perception of it, is a secret society, something to join, something people keep hidden, the Love doesn't have a chance. That makes love a commodity, something kept.

In my experience, love comes from within, and is reflected back to us. 

And it can't be sought, taken, won. 

It can only be given. And given freely.

Life is always a little lonely, a little sad. I've had times of sorrow, of anger, of isolation. And I've had times where I wanted love to be found, to be given to me, to be that last present I open. 

But the happiest times have always been a direct result of embracing the moment, loving life for all that it is, good and bad, up and down. When love is unconditional, for the world, for others, and for myself.

Easy to say, hard to do, I know. But worth repeating, worth thinking on.

It would be nice if there were more love in the world right now. 

I don't think there will be more love by me wanting it to be out there. There will be more love if I put more out there. 

So maybe sitting in the living room makes me write more about what I think on the nature of love. 

One thing about the State of the Union before I go. I think yelling out nasty things from the floor while the President is talking is kind of sad. 

Put another way, I don't think you get much accomplished by yelling. I can't think of any time I've been in an argument with my wife where me blurting out "you lie!" has earned me points.

So let's stop yelling.

Also easy to say. Harder to do. There are plenty of times of late when I've felt like yelling at someone. Especially at the powers that be who seem to not care about the environment or the less fortunate or anything much beyond their own money. 

But the better thing to do, I think, instead of yelling, is seeking ways to help. Maybe donating to a worthy organization, or volunteering, or writing a letter to my representatives. 

So love more, yell less.

Also, the animated short Robin, Robin is amazing a joyous and a must see. Please do check that one out.

Here's a song. It's Our Town, by Iris DeMent. 



No comments:

A PIRATE'S LIFE, AN ACTOR'S LIFE, MY LIFE.

I find meaning everywhere. Not just in books and music and movies and myths, but in moments I witness as I stroll through this world.  Meani...