Wednesday, March 25, 2020

ALTERNATE REALITY

Dreamed last night I was hanging out with President Trump. Well, not hanging out. I was at the White House for some nebulous reason, in that dream logic kind of way. It felt like when you were a kid, and your parents visited other parents, and they went off to do parent things, and you were left in the other parents house with the other parent's kid. The White House was really empty, just a few staff members in the background. Trump was like this lonely outcast kind of kid, awkward, not good with his words. He told me he needed help in communicating. Wanted to know how I was able to talk to people, to connect to the world. Then he ordered a fancy sandwich for himself, and let me order something for myself as well.

It was a peaceful kind of dream. And the president looked different. Not so angry, not so orange, not so bloated. Maybe it was an alternate reality? I often think that dreams are portals to parallel universes, worlds where there are other versions of us. Somehow, when we dream, we are allowed to travel between the worlds. I wonder if other versions of me visit this world in their dreams. What would they make of this?

Yesterday I watched too much news. The only thing I watch when I can that I like is Cuomo's daily address. That guy has the X factor for leadership in a crisis. No baloney, connects to the audience, and gives information that is useful. I usually feel better after watching one of his conferences. When I watch the White House task force, which I don't do that often, I usually feel confused, lost, and more afraid. They say that people who grew up in alcoholic households are the best lie detectors. They also say that people from the theatre are excellent at sniffing out the bull. Being both, I must be great at it. In any event, I always feel like I am being sold a bill of goods by Trump & Co. And then there's poor little Fausty. He seems like the prisoner, the one who will help the heroes with vital information when they get to act three of this strange movie.

Also yesterday, we drove to a few stores to get some things for ourselves and a friend who isn't doing well. I could not believe how clear the sky was. The Rocky Mountains stretched out forever, crisp and clear and inspiring. I wonder, when this is done, what we will do about the world, about the environment. It is such a lovely planet.  Is this whole thing the result of Mother Earth saying "enough!"?


Last night, we had dinner at a neighbor's front yard, all seated at least 6 feet from each other, in a sort of Council of Elrond setting. Nobody got up to say "One does not simply walk into Mordor", though it would have been cool if they did. There were five of us total. It was a warm, early spring evening, the sky bright blue, and the conversation awesome. I think already we are all starved for connecting with each other. Not that I mind exploring myself and my soul. I don't. I love it. But I also love people. Being near one another. Something to look forward to and to savor more after the Duration.

Then we went home and tried to watch an episode of The Great British Baking Show, but fell asleep before the technical challenge. That is a show I highly recommend. Everyone is so nice to each other in it, the food looks amazing, and it gives me faith in humanity.

Well, on to today.  Here's a song. Note on the song- first off, I don't endorse being in a room that full of people until after the Duration. Second, it is full of youthful lust and energy. Don't let it get you down because you can't go to a club at the moment. Third, do you think there is an alternate reality where Debbie Harry is President of the United States?


2 comments:

Songwright said...

"And then there's poor little Fausty. He seems like the prisoner, the one who will help the heroes with vital information when they get to act three of this strange movie." What an excellent description of a man who must scream but has no mouth.

Songwright said...

Dreams may be connected to alternate realities. I had a dream on Sunday night in which I was hanging out with a woman who seemed familiar, but I couldn't place her. She was dressed up in a Goth outfit like Elvira, the character that Cassandra Peterson played on that old TV show. I don't remember what we were talking about, but at one point I asked her to tell me about her dark sexuality. "I'd rather not get into, baby," she said. The next day, I joined an online dance party on Zoom, a random event I was invited to on Facebook. It was intended by its creator to be a "break from the bleak" of the social distancing we are all currently enduring at home. The music was house and sometimes goth. I could see the other people on the Zoom screen. One of them looked like the woman from my dream, except that she was wearing a mask. We didn't get to talk, but seeing her was yet another confirmation of my belief in the connection between the dream world and reality.

A PIRATE'S LIFE, AN ACTOR'S LIFE, MY LIFE.

I find meaning everywhere. Not just in books and music and movies and myths, but in moments I witness as I stroll through this world.  Meani...