Tuesday, March 24, 2020

MEDITATION, ANOTHER WEIRD DREAM, LINES, AND A SICK FRIEND

Another theatre dream last night. This time, we were getting ready to perform Annie. This is a show I was about to open last week end at one of the schools I work at. But the show was being performed at the main stage theatre of San Jose State, where I went to college lo these many years ago. The kids were excited and running around, house was about to open, when I noticed a bunch of sand on the stage. I looked around, and upstage, behind the scenery, was this huge diorama of of beach of some sort, and. this classic old professor who was working on it. I asked him what the hell he was doing. He told me, due to budget concerns, that he was told to do his work there. Then my tech director/choreographer and I began sweeping up the sand, and we got ready for the show to begin.

So, yesterday we started meditating to this audio thing by Deepak Chopra that a friend sent to us. Takes about 15 minutes, and then there is a little task to do. The task was to write down at least 50 people who have inspired and/or mentored me, alive or dead, someone I knew or an artist or whatever whose work had an impact on me. And that was a great list to make. I have had so many wonderful people in my life, and the world is full of inspiring teachers and artists. And the meditation itself was peaceful, grounding, and a welcome break from all the news that is assaulting us on a minute by minute basis. I think there is going to be more and more people going on spiritual journeys of one type or another as we sit in our homes, not able to do the daily grind.

Here in Denver, we are now on a shut in, don't go out, nobody move, put your hands in the air as you enter Funky Town kind of thing. So we went out to get a new land line phone, and get Lisa some wine before the liquor stores close. The line for the booze was out the door and around the block. I wonder how many jokes there will be about that, like there were about toilet paper. I suspect little to none. Making fun of toilet paper is just so easy. I mean, you get to say the word toilet. I personally don't care about people hoarding toilet paper. I do worry about all these people who think they're being rebels by hanging out in large groups on beaches and at parties,  thinking that by doing so they are sticking it to the man. I get the desire to hang out, and the need to stick it to something these days- but come on. There have got to be better ways to do that besides exposing themselves and everyone they come into contact with to a virus that seems hell bent on taking out a good chunk of the world's population.

Today, we are going to work on the garden, work out, take a long walk while maintaining social distance, do what work we can from home, read to each other, clean out yet another closet, and try to maintain our sanity. And I will write a bit, and make a video with my dog.

Also, I think one of my best friends in this world might have it. That's what his doctor's think. He seems to be ok. We play Dungeons and Dragons via zoom, and played last night. I am hoping it is just a really bad flu, like what that weird orange guy says it is. As much as I can't stand our dear leader, I would be just fine if his bizarre predictions came true. My friend is healthy in general, and I am certain he will get through this. But holy shit. So, if you are getting funky with meditation or religion or tarot cards or Jesus or whatever floats your spiritual boat, put a candle in the window and think good thoughts.

Ok. Here is a song. More later.




2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the song.
Keep inspiring us all, Kelly.
People need your wisdom, humor, anger, joy and love.

Songwright said...

That's a good song. I'll remember you when I and all those afflicted when I meditate tomorrow.

A PIRATE'S LIFE, AN ACTOR'S LIFE, MY LIFE.

I find meaning everywhere. Not just in books and music and movies and myths, but in moments I witness as I stroll through this world.  Meani...