Wednesday, February 29, 2012

1 GIANT LEAP DAY

I'm having a good day.

Make that a good week.  Things are just happening that are sweet, empowering, and exciting.  Where to begin?



First, I got notified this morning that I'm a finalist for Pitch-n-play, a contest put on by Playscripts, inc. where you entered via twitter various pitches, or ideas, for plays based on the quote "the course of true love never did run smooth. (if you want to follow me on twitter, I'm @rkmcallister)   From the hundreds of submissions, 30 semi-finalists were chosen. Then there was a week-long online voting period, where the general public voted on the 30 entries.  The top 10 were named today, and I am in.  My pitch was "real Puck messes with hearts of teens during high school prod of Midsummer Nights Dream".  The announcement was made by direct message on twitter.  When I didn't get a tweet notifying me I was a finalist by 9pm NYC time, which is where Playscripts is located, I figured I wasn't in, and took the dog for a walk.  Then, about an hour later, my iPhone told me I was mentioned in a tweet from Playscripts.  And there it was- the magic words congratulations.  Now I wait a week, while they decide from those ten finalist the final three pitches, which will each get a chance to be published.  For more on the contest, go here.

I like winning contests.



Second, I wrapped Strong Tea, my first movie, this week-end.  Making movies is a lot of work- much more than I had thought it would be.  But it's also exhilarating.   And addictive.  The cast and crew were outstanding, and the shoot could not have gone better.  More on that in the next blog.

Third, tonight my play Burning the Old Man is performing yet again in the Czech Repbulic, at Divadlo Exil in the city of Pardubice.  Still can't get over the idea that thousands of miles away, people I have never met are performing something I wrote, translated into a language I don't speak.  Amazing.



And Fourth, it's Leap Day.  Here's a little 1 Giant Leap love for you.



So Happy Leap Day, world.  Thanks for everything.

No comments:

I DON'T MEAN TO MAKE IT ALL ABOUT ME BUT THEN AGAIN I DO

Sometimes, oftentimes, now times, I wake with this feeling of existential dread. Or what I think existential dread is. I get up early, almos...