Wednesday, September 2, 2020

BROTHER BROWN AND GOOFY GREEN

And still, it goes on. I think I've semi-forgotten, or managed to push to the back of my brain, the fact that every day hundreds, often over a thousand, people die of Covid right here in the USA. And world wide, the numbers are even worse. Part of that is probably human nature. We adjust. But I think another large part is the fact that we never see images of what people look like in those ICUs, as they slowly, horrifically die, isolated from their friends and family. I think I've mentioned it before. I'm not sure, as these blogs are written first thing in the morning, as I drink my second cup of coffee after letting the dog out, watering the plants, and all those things you do in the morning. Anyhow, I have seen what it looks like, because a woman I barely knew, one of those Facebook friends you have whose posts you read but whom you've rarely actually conversed with, had it, took a lot of selfies throughout her ordeal. And then she died. She was a mother of three. In her mid-forties. Married. Seemed really nice. The images were awful. Like something from a scary movie. I am very tempted to share those photos, but out of respect for the dead and her family, I don't. 



Maybe I should.

Maybe if more people saw what it looks like to have Covid, it would be real for them. 

Maybe not. 

There is video of that kid in Kenosha killing people, but there are those who have managed to bend reality so that in their minds, it was self defense. That this angry mob, for no reason other than they were savages, had attacked this angel who was out there with his trusty rifle to protect America. 

Maybe images on social media are just a bad way to try and convince anyone of anything. Maybe I need to engage on a more immediate level with people I actually know, right here in Denver, who think everything's great, the virus is over, and all is well in the world.

What seems certain is that we are still in the middle of some seismic, tectonic shift in how we think, live, breathe, interact, move. 

And that when I speak with people, listen, learn, try, write, express, things get better.

And life is short. Absurdly, stupidly short. 


And War of the Gargantuas, a classic Kaiju movie I watched many times  on Creature Features in my formative years, is a tale for our time. Basically, there are two gigantic monsters, who have the ability to destroy entire cities, but also to save us from certain death. They're like this obvious metaphor for our inner demons and angels. We used to call the good one Brother Brown and the bad one Goofy Green. Green is basically got a lot of issues, and enjoy snacking on people and destroying buildings. Brown lives in the mountain and communes with nature. Brown loves Green, but when it becomes clear Green can't change his evil ways, shit gets real.  It's streaming now, and I think, if we all watched it, the world would be better. Or at least distracted for a bit. 

Okay. Here's a song. It's Feelin' Human by D'Haene.





No comments:

A PIRATE'S LIFE, AN ACTOR'S LIFE, MY LIFE.

I find meaning everywhere. Not just in books and music and movies and myths, but in moments I witness as I stroll through this world.  Meani...