Sunday, July 19, 2015

Poem I Wrote for Jack

Sometimes, I think my brain is like that scene in Poltergeist when Craig T. Nelson takes the paranormal investigators to the kids room- the one where one of the investigators tells him that he once, on a time lapse video, got a sponge moving several inches- to which Nelson looks extremely unimpressed. Nelson then opens the door to the kids room, the room where Carol Ann disappeared, and the investigators see all sorts of debris flying around the room- books flapping like birds, a kids vinyl LP that connects with a writing compass and impossibly begins to play, a light bulb that flies into the socket of a lamp and turns itself on, and a Hulk doll riding a toy horse like he's a little Teddy Roosevelt on San Juan Hill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=fntf6IpPOVI

That's my brain. All these disparate items, flying in a funky, magic, sort of malevolent vortex, creating crazy-logic that is both amusing and creepy.

Anyhow.

So Halpin me a poem the other day and I sent one back.

Here 'tis:

Could you find me?
Anew, anow,  anonymous
And wondrous and full of daffodils
I walk walk walk to the empty old barn, 
Remnant of times past but not dead, no
Not dead, alive with the imagined ghosts 
In the fragrant Oldewood 
And sword fights on the library sign 
With limbs from the local peach trees –
Falling backwards in the 
BlossomLandTime
Of Slurpee cups and that Book
Of Cryptozoological goodness

The sky is always blue always cloudy
always always always always always
Playing a Van Morrison song
I've never heard and know by heart and I
am there and I am here and we are
the walrus we are the night we are always are
dancing leaping smiling frowning
I have the Sword of Shannarra!
I they we you you you where did it go
where are those peach trees now
where are those mad members of
the secret society of forgotten forms–
the wild ones? 

And we go marching on.  
 
 
 
 

No comments:

A PIRATE'S LIFE, AN ACTOR'S LIFE, MY LIFE.

I find meaning everywhere. Not just in books and music and movies and myths, but in moments I witness as I stroll through this world.  Meani...