Monday, October 28, 2013

ENTER GHOST (HONEYBOY JACK AND THE SILVER MIST PART 3)

Moon and Alma have come to a deserted race track on Madeline Island, the most haunted of the Apostle Islands of Lake Superior. They hope to raise the ghost of Honeyboy Jack Schaefer and film it on their smart phone, so that they can get on a paranormal tv show. They are alone, with an old trunk they have dragged along with them. Things have started to get a little funky. See previous two posts for more.






MOON
Oh my god!

An old car engine revs offstage, loudly. Then several car engines rev- it sounds like a race track right before a race. The sound builds and builds, until it's almost deafening.

ALMA
This is awesome! Go stand by the trunk and tell us about summoning Honey Boy!
MOON
Are you crazy? We have to get out of here!

Suddenly, the sounds stop. Silence. Moon and Alma stare at each other.

ALMA
I think I got all that recorded. Do you know what this means?
MOON
That a bunch of ghost cars are out to get us?
ALMA
We’re gonna be on tv! Travel Channel- maybe Discovery. I don’t know. But our troubles are over!

The trunk moves again, and then its lid opens.

MOON
(whispers) Did you see that?
ALMA
Go see what’s inside.
MOON
(whispers) No way!
ALMA
Moon, I love you- and I am so glad you found that trunk- but if you don’t suck it up and get over there, I swear to God I will find someone else to be on the show!
MOON
Alma-
ALMA
I swear to God!
MOON
Fine!

Moon slowly inches over to the trunk, and manages to peek into it.

MOON (cont’d)
It’s empty.
ALMA
Serious?
MOON
See for yourself.

Alma, still filming with her smart phone, walks up to trunk.

ALMA
Oh crap! My battery’s almost out!
MOON
I thought you charged it!
ALMA
This isn’t happening!

Alma walks downstage. Moon follows.

MOON
Should we still do the summoning thing?
ALMA
Yes, Moon! Jesus, what is wrong with you? If we don’t get the ghost of Honey Boy to come help you win that race tomorrow- no prize money. No prize money, loan sharks break thumbs.
MOON
Don’t mention the loan sharks with the camera on.
ALMA
Just shut it!

Unseen by Alma or Moon, WHIZ stands up from inside the trunk. She is a tough race car driving lady from the late 1940’s. 




MOON
Why’re you yelling at me? I’m not the one who forgot to charge the smart phone.
ALMA
Android! 
MOON
Whatever. God! You are such a B-I-... you know what!

Moon turns, sees Whiz, freezes.

MOON (cont’d)
Uh, Alma?
ALMA
Go away, Moon!
MOON
Alma!
ALMA
What?!?!

Alma turns, sees Whiz.

ALMA (cont’d)
Uh, excuse me, lady...but we’re shooting a tv show here, and it’s a closed set. Not open to the public. I’m going to have to ask you to leave. Please step out of the trunk.

...To Be Continued.


No comments:

I DON'T MEAN TO MAKE IT ALL ABOUT ME BUT THEN AGAIN I DO

Sometimes, oftentimes, now times, I wake with this feeling of existential dread. Or what I think existential dread is. I get up early, almos...