Friday, October 25, 2013

HONEYBOY JACK AND THE SILVERMIST PART 2

Moon and Alma have come to a deserted race track on Madeline Island, the most haunted of the Apostle Islands of Lake Superior. They hope to raise the ghost of Honeyboy Jack Schaefer and film it on their smart phone, so that they can get on a paranormal tv show. See previous post for more.



ALMA
Just tell us about Honey Bun.
MOON
Honey Boy! (back to camera) So, I’m standing on the old dirt track where Honey Boy won his last race- before plunging into the ice water mansions of Gitchy-Gummi.
ALMA
Moon! Stick to the script.
MOON
We are summoning the spirit of Honey Boy tonight, and he’s going to help me win tomorrows race.
ALMA
He better.
MOON
Do you really think they’ll break my thumbs if I don’t pay them back?
ALMA
Moon! Don’t bring up loan sharks when the cameras are rolling. And yes, they’ll break your thumbs. They’ll break every bone in your body. 
MOON
I can’t believe you talked me into going to them.
ALMA
I didn’t talk anyone into anything.
MOON
You’re the one who needed the money for the smart phone.
ALMA
It’s called an Android, dumb ass. Smart phone is a generic phrase. And the Android isn’t the problem. We’re four months behind on the rent, the repo man took my car-
MOON
I know, I know! At least I got the cable bill paid so we can watch Breaking Bad.
ALMA
Can we get on with the shoot please?
MOON
Fine! So, on this very spot, on a chilly September night Honey Boy won his last race. I have a picture of him holding the trophy. (pulls photo out of his pants pocket). Can you get a close up of this?

Alma moves in for a close up of the photo.

MOON (cont’d)
As you can see, next to Honey Boy is the love of his life, Whiz Winchester- the fastest lady driver back then. 
ALMA
She’s big- tall as Honey Boy.
MOON
Yep. A tall drink of water.
ALMA
What happened to Whiz after Honey Boy died?
MOON
Nobody knows. Some say she headed south. Some say she killed herself-

Suddenly, the trunk moves as if there is something very powerful inside, knocking Moon on to the ground.
ALMA
Moon, stop goofing around!
MOON
What are you talking about? That thing moved!
ALMA
The trunk?

The trunk moves again.

MOON
Oh my god!

An old car engine revs offstage, loudly. Then several car engines rev- it sounds like a race track right before a race. The sound builds and builds.

ALMA
This is awesome! Go stand by the trunk and tell us about summoning Honey Boy!
MOON
Are you crazy? We have to get out of here!

Suddenly, the sounds stop. Silence. Moon and Alma stare at each other.

ALMA
I think I got all that recorded!

To Be Continued...

No comments:

I DON'T MEAN TO MAKE IT ALL ABOUT ME BUT THEN AGAIN I DO

Sometimes, oftentimes, now times, I wake with this feeling of existential dread. Or what I think existential dread is. I get up early, almos...