Monday, April 6, 2020

MONDAYS

Escape dream last night. I was back in NYC, and got a call to go be assistant to Lin Manuel Miranda at the Hamilton theatre. Went to the theater, which was your typical older Broadway theatre, but not one the actually exists in this dimension. It was near my old apartment in Hell's Kitchen. Lin was hanging out when I got there, already in costume. There were tons of people all over the place, and he said "let's go", and we were off to the races. In the dream, being his assistant involved following him around and doing what was asked. We went up to the roof, where there were even more people. He tosses me a sword and we had a stage combat style sword fight. There were at least twenty other actors on the roof, who joined in. Then we leapt from the roof to the building next door, which had a room full of huge glass cages like the kind in science class, full of animals and exotic plants. He said something about fixing those up for a children's hospital. Then we went back to the roof of the theatre for more stage combat. Then he wanted to show me this cool old clock in the theatre, which stood at the back of the house, and was like an old glockenspiel, with dancing skeleton dolls. The whole dream felt like a cross between My Favorite Year and the 1970s version of The Three Musketeers. At the end of the dream, he told me he wanted to put me in the show. Then I woke up.

How nice. I felt great the whole dream, and was in this world where everyone was funny and happy and safe, and we were all doing what we wanted to be doing, and it was exciting and challenging and full of the unexpected, but the good kind of unexpected. Maybe my brain wanted to give me a field trip. Maybe I was rewarding myself for completing two weeks of meditating everyday. Maybe it was left over good vibes from being on a zoom with people I love in NYC last night. Who knows? I don't question good fortune, even in dreams.

Last night, we made this roasted vegetable dish with brown rice and a garlic yogurt sauce. It was incredible. Well, Lisa made it, and I helped, prepping and chopping up the veggies, and putting them i the pan. She made the sauce, the rice, and oversaw the actual cooking. And man, it was delicious. We caught up on Schitt's Creek, which was particularly good. We are watching the last season, and watched the latest two episodes. So funny and touching and thoughtful, while rarely getting all sappy. And when it does get sappy, it's earned and warranted and gives the audience something beautiful. The show, as acerbic as it can be, is really about growth and change and love. And you should all watch it.

Today, we head out to buy some necessaries. Oh boy. It's been almost a week since we ventured out, and will be strange, to be sure. And we will be wearing masks, another milestone in this long strange trip. What's next? Aliens landing, or coming out of Area 51 and saying "yup, we've been here since Roswell. Thought you could use a hand before you completely screw the pooch, as they say in Orion's Belt."?

It's Monday. Aren't we all supposed to be tired, unhappy the week end is over, and maybe a bit over tired from too much week end fun? Shouldn't we all be posting photos of some party or event where we made gleeful fools of ourselves and want the world to know it? Or memes about how long it is until Friday? While I am certain a lot of things will never be the same, I bet when this is all over, there will be Monday jokes again. And of course, the memes never stopped, just changed subject matter. Lots of complaining about the lack of leadership in D.C. A few nut jobs who think it's all a conspiracy and not really happening, or that it was a plot by various people. Weird challenges (I did one for how bad is your hair today. Sadly, I won). But so far, not a lot of "Shit, it's Monday" memes. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough.

Well, got to go see what's happening in the unreal world.

Here's a song.


1 comment:

Songwright said...

That was a nice dream about Lin-Manuel Miranda asking you to help with Hamilton. Too bad that kind of thing doesn't happen in real life. Some nice things are happening in response to the pandemic, though. This kid wasn't able to see Hamilton because of the pandemic, but she got to hear the original cast sing "Alexander Hamilton" to her on Zoom.

A PIRATE'S LIFE, AN ACTOR'S LIFE, MY LIFE.

I find meaning everywhere. Not just in books and music and movies and myths, but in moments I witness as I stroll through this world.  Meani...