Sunday, April 12, 2020

WHERE IS MY MIND?

Mundane dreams last night. Lots of just doing domestic chores. Cleaning the house. Shopping for food. The one thing that sticks out is at one point, I was checking something out front, and the meter reader- I don't know if they even have those anymore, the person who goes house to house and reads the electric meters- but there he was. I asked him a question, and he ignored me. I asked him again. Still nothing. His son was with him for some reason, about 20 or so. I asked him what the problem was, and he said his dad doesn't like answering questions.

It felt like the frustration, the boredom, the being cooped up had spilled into my dreams. Of late, I can be a bit cranky. For little to no reason. I can also be overly happy, giddy, sad. Any of the seven dwarfs. But there's also the new things: introspective, meditative, active, present. Well, not new, but certainly around a lot more. There are things I don't want to go back to normal, things I like that I have found by being forced to contemplate more, to look at things longer, to have to work a little harder to communicate and spend time with the people I love. I've even learned some things from doing Zoom meetings. Shit, I think I even learn when I annoy my wife for the millionth time. I think we are all changed, whether we like it or not. Some of us ask more questions. Some of us refuse to answer questions. Some of us howl every night at 8pm. Some of us have found religion. Some of us have left religion. But this event has changed us, as individuals and as a people, forever. I wonder what will happen. Star Trek or Road Warrior.

Well, it's Easter Sunday. Aren't we supposed to all be packed in churches, walking the streets, shaking hand and hugging strangers? How insane does that sound right now? I mean, I would love to be hugging strangers and sitting in a crowded room full of people chanting and singing and putting money in a dish. I really would. But not right now. Not when two thousand people die in one day in the good old USA. I am sure we will be able to do that again. Just not yet.

Here is today's first song, to finish the days of the week songs. It's Sunday, Bloody Sunday, by U2.



Last night, I was overcome with a yen for green chile. We had just discovered this place on Santa Fe, Tacos de Mexico, that makes the best green chile I have ever had. It's unbelievable. One of those things that as you eat, unfolds a new flavor every second it's in your mouth, and makes you think you have eaten the food of the gods and just might develop some super powers. Lisa had made bunny scones, and was out leaving them on people's steps, like the Easter Bunny, and I was home listening to the Flaming Lips live at Red Rocks with the Colorado Symphony (a record I highly recommend) and talking with my good friend Jack, and the urge hit me. Green Chile. Get some green chile. Like most moods these days, it hit quick and hard. I had to wait for Lisa to get home, because parking on our street is horrible, and I didn't want to lose the space in front of our house. Sadly, this was the wrong decision, as I discovered that while Tacos de Mexico is still doing take out, they also close at 8pm. Lisa got home at 8:15. And the web site for the taco joint has the old, pre-quarantine times still listed, so I didn't find out they were closed until I was on the road, calling them en route. So I called several other places. A lot of them close at 8, it seems. I ended up getting a couple of burritos at Chipolte. And what was really weird was being out at 8pm on a Saturday night. It looked like it was two in the morning. Empty streets, a few cars out, and whomever was still out trying to find a place that was open to get some food before bed. There was a dream like quality to it. Maybe the portals have opened, and not only is reality invading our dreams, but our dreams are invading our reality.

Here's a song. It's a cover of the Pixies Where Is My Mind by The One and Only PPL MVR. You have to love a band that's dresses like Sasquatch.







1 comment:

Songwright said...

I was just driving around in L.A. tonight and the place also looks like a ghost town here. Every place is closed except essential services and a Rite Aid store. We are living in a different world now.

A PIRATE'S LIFE, AN ACTOR'S LIFE, MY LIFE.

I find meaning everywhere. Not just in books and music and movies and myths, but in moments I witness as I stroll through this world.  Meani...