Saturday, May 2, 2020

STRANGE EXPECTATIONS

Doing a little gardening today. We have a community plot, and today we get compost from the people who run the garden and spread it around. Thanks to social distancing, there is a schedule of who does it and when, and since I have online classes all day, the only time I can do it is at 8 in the morning. So yay. I think getting up early to do stuff is both awesome and awful. Awesome once your done, and feel your blood flowing and have that sense of accomplishment. Awful right now, tired, coffee just made but not getting me over the hump yet. Usually on Saturdays, I can sleep a little longer, but not today. And I could have used it. Had lots of weird dreams, woke up several times, and of course Padfoot was ready to go at six even though I was sleeping away. Sadly, all the dreams were pulled away like a tablecloth, leaving the table bare. I woke up after of them, lay in bed thinking "this will be a great dream in the blog", and then it vanished. I felt it leave my brain for parts unknown. Maybe Morpheus felt it was too much information, too revealing of secrets that we are not ready for just yet. I always hate it when I forget something. Especially dreams. So here I sit, bleary eyed, wondering what to write about.

We watched the film Mother last night. It was insane. Had the look and feel of a 1970s thriller, somewhere between Let's Scare Jessica to Death and Rosemary's Baby. The palette, the pace, the feel. Movies back then were almost always fatalistic, bleak, and disturbing. At least, they were to me as a kid. You could count on the good guys dying by the end of most movies, and the world being cruel and unfair. Which seemed to mirror the times pretty well. Then along came Star Wars multi-plexes, and a new phase began. But I digress. Mother is really trippy, creepy, funny, over the top nuts. In the best possible sense. I reminded me of this French film by Jacques Tati called Playtime, which goes to places unexpected, bizarre, and glorious. I love seeing movies that surprise me, shock me, don't do the expected formulaic thing but still mange to entertain. Yes, there is something to be said for seeing films where you know what's going to happen. Meet the hero, meet the villain, get the set up, see it play out, dark night of the soul, good guy figures something out, climatic event, end of story. Cool. Great, love it. But sometimes, it is nice to have your expectations challenged, to have the story lead you down a rabbit hole to a place where things happen that don't usually happen. As Mother spiralled from off kilter to down right nuts, I started to laugh in joy, even though the story is gruesome beyond belief. Maybe it's just a reflection of the times. I feel connected to stories that have people experience the bizarre. Don't we all these days?

So, since I must go spread compost soon, today's entry will be brief. I will say I think it's pathetic that the White House won't let Fauci testify at the House, but will let him testify at the Senate. Not that it matters. Things are insane, lots of people are dead, lots of people are angry, the economy is screwed, and the current administration has to go. End of story.

Here's a song. It's All the Time in the World, off the new album by X, which is amazing.


1 comment:

Songwright said...

Stories that are fatalistic and bleak can offer us a wake up call if we get lulled into the misconception that everything in life is like a story with a happy ending. Eugene O'Neill said that a tragic ending is a kind of happy ending. The hero rises above a state of ignorance and becomes enlightened, though there is a heavy price to pay. A bleak story is a modern tale of our place in the universe. We don't own it. We don't rule nature. If we fail to find meaning in our lives, the end of our lives will be meaningless by our own design. That fits our times. We Americans have been ruled by a class of super rich people who thought they were God, but nature is owning them with the coronavirus.

Remember that margarine commercial from the Seventies starring Mother Nature, who thought the margarine was butter? Then she'd say, "It's not nice to fool Mother Nature," followed by thunder and lightning. How nice it would be if thunder and lightning were the only things we had to worry about now.

A PIRATE'S LIFE, AN ACTOR'S LIFE, MY LIFE.

I find meaning everywhere. Not just in books and music and movies and myths, but in moments I witness as I stroll through this world.  Meani...