Friday, May 15, 2020

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

I like UFOs. Always have. Bigfoot too, of course. And the Loch Ness Monster. I love all those mysteries, legends, beasts the wander the back roads. There is something both frightening and entrancing about them. About the unknown. I watch all the shows: Finding Bigfoot; Ancient Aliens; Monster Quest; Fuller House. Any show that has a monster or alien in it, I am there. Much to Lisa' chagrin. Last night, I finished a thing on Netflix called Declassified, all about aliens, reverse engineering, conspiracy, and the like. Not a lot of new stuff, and way to many talking heads and way too few shots of ships in the sky. Still, it had some good moments. One guy was talking about how we are at least a century behind in technology. That we were cooking with gas at the turn of the last century, metaphorically speaking, with the advent of the airplane, the automobile, and people like Nikola Tesla creating all sorts of amazing things, including supposedly a way to harness clean, limitless energy. And there was more on the way, according to this guy, mainly coming from reverse engineered alien spacecraft and direct contact with people from other worlds. And then it all got shut down. His theory is that the powers that be, those in charge of the oil and gas and coal, did not want this new technology to come out, because it would mean more autonomy for us all, and less power for them. This is not a new idea. I've heard variations on it many times. The government is sitting on all the cures to our ailments. Or at least a lot of them. Cars that run on water; little power generators that run forever with no pollution; anti-gravity devices; maybe even time travel. But in the context of current events, I found this theory much more interesting. What if now, due mainly to mismanagement of our world leaders, at long last we get to see the wreck from Roswell? And find out what was in those papers Tesla had locked in his safe that were confiscated by the Feds the day he died? Seems plausible to me. We have this global pandemic, mass hysteria, confusion, and anger. The Lunatics are on the path, the Fox is in the Henhouse, and disease is in the White House. I can easily envision some worker bee who loses a loved one to the virus, whose job it is to watch the storeroom where they keep at least some of the secret spacecraft. Maybe she's felt we should all see this stuff anyway, but out of a sense of duty, has done her job and kept them tucked away. Then this anonymous guardian of galactic secrets loses her mother and father in one week, and a best friend. And she gets angry. She turns on the TV and sees some our our illustrious leaders saying we are going to need to sacrifice a few folks for the economy. And she turns and looks at these machines that could save the economy. And she takes out her key, or types in a code, or does whatever it is she needs to do to open up the floodgates, and presto, the world gets alien tech.

Maybe that's a bit fanciful. But if ever there was a time for us to hear from the aliens en masse, it's now. And if we can't have that, then we should at the very least start listening to scientists more often. They may not be the "end all" on matters of energy, medicine, and climate. But I think they know more about it than most members of congress or the folks in the West Wing. I mean, let's look at the past five months. Pretty much everything the science community said would happen has happened. Everything the powers that be said would happen has not.  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that rocket scientists are smarter than the average Jane or Joe. That's why they're rocket scientists. Now, that doesn't make the ethical. I'm sure that there are some rocket scientists who are selfish assholes who treat their families poorly. Even so. I'd like to hear more from them and less from politicians and CEOs who I am fairly certain don't have our best interests in their hearts.

Mostly, though, I'd like to hear from the aliens. Or Bigfoot. In fact, I'd like an alien to give a press conference with Bigfoot. The alien could talk first. Go on about how they're here, have been here all along, and now is the time for them to share their knowledge and take us on trips to the stars. Then the alien could bring out a Sasquatch for a short Q and A session. And then and at the end of it, they could bring out our President and have Bigfoot slap the shit out of Trump.  I know, it's a bit mean spirited. He's an old, doddering fool who clearly doesn't have a lot going on in the cranium. And revenge is a bad way to go about things. But man, that guy really gets my goat sometimes. 

Anyhow. That's where I am today. Thinking of aliens, Bigfoot, and our current shortage of good leadership at the national level. I think this is due to the time being out of joint. To seeing people out on the street acting like the virus is gone already, that we are past the crisis, that all we need to do is open up and not test and all will be as it was. I feel like we're on the Titanic, the band is playing, and people are going about things like all will be well. Don't get me wrong. All will be well. But not if we pretend we didn't hit an iceberg. I'm not saying we should give in to fear either. We need to use just a bit of our little brains, and figure out how to fit as many people as we can on the life boats.

Ok. Weird rant. Spread the love, look to the skies, and if you know anything about the aliens, let us know.

Here's a song. It's And the Band Played On by Moxy Fruvous.


1 comment:

Songwright said...

I used to be afraid of aliens when I was a child. The story of Barney and Betty Hill's abduction by aliens became a TV movie called The UFO incident starring Barnard Hughes, Estelle Parsons, and James Earl Jones. Later, when Close Encounters of the Third Kind came out, I got caught up in the idealism of aliens being friendly creatures who wanted to make contact with human beings using music and visions of a mountain.

I felt no idealism years later when a friend of mine from college tried to get me to read a book he had read about how modern technology was backward-engineered from aliens. I'm not an engineer (yet) but I've studied enough technology over the years to be acquainted with how technology has evolved. For example, the fabrication of computer chips relies on processes such as photolithography, which evolved from photography and lithographic printing, whose origins have been well-documented. Twentieth-century electronics benefited from a movement in technology toward miniaturization that actually started in the nineteenth century with devices such as pocket watches. When I worked as a security guard at Intel, I visited their CPU museum many times and saw all the minor discoveries required for each step in the evolution of central processing units. There was a lot of trial and error in process. Some discoveries were the result of accidents that proved useful. I saw no breaks in the chain of events that needed to be explained by the acquisition of extraterrestrial technology. I did not read my friend's book. (There is a page describing the timeline for the evolution twentieth century electronics at greatachievements.org.)

I do enjoy the great mysteries, such as Bigfoot, and I actually believe that Bigfoot exists, or used to exist as a species of gigantophithecus. Most other mysteries seem like enjoyable stories to me, but I have to be skeptical. 5G is not causing the COVID-19 virus. The governments of the world are not controlled by lizard people. I used to have a girlfriend who believed that theory. She dumped me and started hanging out with white supremacists. I don't believe that she has a firm grip on the facts.

A PIRATE'S LIFE, AN ACTOR'S LIFE, MY LIFE.

I find meaning everywhere. Not just in books and music and movies and myths, but in moments I witness as I stroll through this world.  Meani...