Wednesday, June 10, 2020

COSMIC AWARENESS

I feel cosmically aware for this fleeting moment. Like Captain Marvel in the old comic books way back when. He had these cosmic bands, that were like very large bracelets, and they made him cosmically aware. Connected to the universe. I was never sure what powers they gave him, in the sense of super-hero powers like flying or strength or lasers shooting out of his eyes. Usually, he's go kind of translucent, and you could see outer space inside of his body, and he'd say something about the Power Cosmic, or being Cosmically Aware, and then go beat up whomever he was fighting. But those moments when he'd get into his awareness space always appealed to me when I was a kid. Like he was meditating, or had meditated so much that he could tap into this calm, this truth, this being one with the cosmos, that was awesome. He was sort of a precursor for me to the whole idea of The Force in Star Wars, and idea of being connected to everything, every rock and butterfly and pile of trash and cat and person and star. Letting go. And not is some passive, oh well, things will be what they will be and it is what it is. No, I have always gotten the sense that when you can channel your own cosmic awareness, you become more able to effect change, on every level.

It's like in acting when you go to audition. Whenever I would really want a role, that desire, combined with the fear of not getting it, would often lead to me not getting the role, because instead of just letting go and doing what I do, I'd hold on, freeze up, and not do what I do. On the auditions where either I let myself go and allowed the universe to flow through me, or I just didn't care all that much, I was always able to tap into the role, the monologue, the song, and just let loose. I would check my head at the door, leave my inner critic behind, walk into the room, and kick it in the ass. Now this is not easy, and often I fail in my attempts to be one with the universe, to feel groovy and magic. But it is a worthy goal, and when attained, however fleeting it is, always feels amazing. It's the same feeling when I see a sunrise, or a rabbit in the garden, or hear a piece of music that resonates, laugh at a joke, dance to the music on Alexa while I clean the dishes, and on and on.

I'm a hippie. I'm a consumer. I'm am she and he are we and you are me and Hi Diddly Dee an actor's life for me, a cosmically aware actor turned playwright turned screenwriter, founding member of the SOKF, streaker of renown, Left Foot of Sasquatch, Cryptozoologist, husband, son, brother, grandson, bunch of atoms combined in such a way that I can think and write blogs.

I have forsaken the news for the time being. I am brandishing my cosmic bands, flying to the dark side of the moon, which is where they actually recorded the album of the same name. Little know fact, but true. I leave sparkles in my path.

Here's a song. It's Totally Nude by The Talking Heads


No comments:

A PIRATE'S LIFE, AN ACTOR'S LIFE, MY LIFE.

I find meaning everywhere. Not just in books and music and movies and myths, but in moments I witness as I stroll through this world.  Meani...