Thursday, June 18, 2020

When The World Is Running Down, Get a Good Pair of Sneakers



Not sure what is going on in the world. I suppose I never was, but I sometimes manage to pretend better than others. It is funny, in both a ha ha and strange sort of way. On one hand, I feel completely connected to my life more than ever before. On the other, I turn on the news and I feel like I am watching a portal to another dimension. First off, not a single commercial makes sense to me. Are they comedies? Dramas? Telenovelas? And the POTUS? Watching him speak, which is difficult to do for any extended amount of time, it a drag of epic proportions. I just can't. The time, as our pal Hamlet would say, is out of joint.

And I think it is out of joint everywhere. Not that this is necessarily a completely bad thing. I dig being clear on what I find important. But the universe seems determined I am sure about it. I feel like I am being tested. And I forgot to bring my number two pencil. Do they even have tests with pencil anymore?

One of the strangest things I've noticed is the way the young folks are reacting to all this. Some seem to dive deeper and deeper into video games, but no matter how many hours they log, the thrill is gone. Some lean into partying. And that seems to come up short too. Not for all of them. Some are so chill I want to be more like them and less like me. Some seem out of their damn minds. Some seem lost, some sad. None of them, not a single one, seems just the same. Of course, I could be projecting my views onto them. But my perception of the world is all I have.

I know. The past few blog entries as a mish-mash of platitudes, lame analogies, and whining. What can I say. I feel like pontificating. I mean, isn't that was a blog is for? Telling the world your thoughts, in the hope that they at least hear them. Expressing. That is worthy in and of itself. Not that it's always good to read. No. I wouldn't say that. But it feels healthy. Everytime I write, I feel better. Like I've tended to my soul. Just a bit.

OK. Enough sobbing and bemoaning the confusion of this world. There is a lot of magic out there, in here, above us and below us. For one thing, I think we all have enjoyed the clear skies and return of wild life and less traffic. And will fight to make that stay. We all really like being in the same room with our friends. That will stay. And I know, when I say "we", it isn't really all of us. There's every reaction out there possible. Even so.

Here's a song. It's The Police, doing When the World Is Running Down.


No comments:

A PIRATE'S LIFE, AN ACTOR'S LIFE, MY LIFE.

I find meaning everywhere. Not just in books and music and movies and myths, but in moments I witness as I stroll through this world.  Meani...