Friday, June 26, 2020

NEVERLAND STAY WITH ME

Long ago and far away in a kingdom by the sea, I was a pirate in the service of Captain James Hook. It was glorious. I had many tattoos, a harpoon, and a sense of magic coursing through my veins. This was in a land called The Western Stage, more of a dimension than anything else. A world where we all could fly, cast spells, and dance between the raindrops. I had gotten lost on my travels, and sent out a distress signal to an old friend. He answered, gave me a position on the Jolly Roger, and my fate was set.

For those who don't speak theatre, or Kelly, that means I once was in the musical Peter Pan at a theatre called the Western Stage after my first attempt at being a starving artist in NYC. It was a show that in many ways set the tone, the style, the theme of my life. We leaned into the story. We gave it our all. We came up with idea after idea. Some worked, some didn't. But we all knew we wanted to do something special. And we all had each other's back. We all trusted each other implicitly and completely. We were all part of it. There were over sixty people in the show, and another twenty or so in the crew, and then there was the orchestra, the front of house, the costume shop, the scene shop, and the administration. And we were a family. We were one. We all lived in Neverland.

This is something to strive for. Always. Sometimes I think we should make congress, the Senate, and the White House do a show together. The world would be much better for it.

Here is a video about that show. It's long. It's magic. It's worth it.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love you dude!

Songwright said...

I don't remember who suggested to me back then that I should join the Western Stage. Maybe it was was Jerry. I believe I was barely surviving as a security guard at the time and for some reason I felt that I couldn't leave that job. I regret that decision, though I don't know how I could have made the Western Stage work for me. I love your pirate stories, though. Thanks for sharing this.

I DON'T MEAN TO MAKE IT ALL ABOUT ME BUT THEN AGAIN I DO

Sometimes, oftentimes, now times, I wake with this feeling of existential dread. Or what I think existential dread is. I get up early, almos...