Monday, June 22, 2020

IT'S A HAND ME DOWN, THE THOUGHTS ARE BROKEN

Monday. Remember when that was such a drag of a day? The start of the work week, back to the grindstone, the beginning of the routine of commute, work, commute, watch tv and eat, sleep, repeat? or some variation on that? Rituals can help you get through time, but they also can erase time, make you shut off the brain, the world, and kind of sleep walk your way to the finish line. And of course, avoid thinking about said finish line, the big exit, the good bye. Death. The great and only equalizer. The final destination, the big sleep, the grim reaper.

I personally don't believe in it or understand it, really. I can't fathom how someone can exist one moment, and not exist the next. I think there is only existence. Maybe we go Elsewhere. But not existing at all seems like a bunch of malarky, an idea made up by scared children who can't comprehend what lurks in the dark.

And what really sucks is there is only one way to find out about this. And I have no intention of doing that for a long time. Ever, really. I like life too much. I love it. I love writing this blog. I love music. I love seeing an old friend I haven't heard from in ages click "like" on a post about something. I love my wife. My dog. My home. My planet. I love it all. And as such, I ain't going anywhere.

Still, I find myself contemplating it all a bit more. I think we all have. And I think that's a big driver of whatever gigantic world wave of consciousness changing action is happening. We all kind of took a teeny tiny step towards, if not accepting death, considering it a possible thing that can happen. We all like to pretend we are immortal. Everything we do indicates this. And not only do we pretend we are immortal, we pretend everyone and everything else is, too. How else can you possibly explain how we treat ourselves, each other, and the planet? We think it is all some weird TV show, where each week, whatever happened before can be fixed, magically, no problemo.

So, now, no more false rituals of denial. No more wasting time to the extent we once did. No more ignoring the climate, police brutality, economic inequality- on and on. It's along list.

So now, for this precious moment, we are alive. Let's get busy. And Now, a song. A bittersweet love song to life and the universe, originally done by the Grateful Dead, covered by a ton of awesome artists. It's the song Ripple. Enjoy, life, get up, get out, and make a difference.


No comments:

A PIRATE'S LIFE, AN ACTOR'S LIFE, MY LIFE.

I find meaning everywhere. Not just in books and music and movies and myths, but in moments I witness as I stroll through this world.  Meani...