Sunday, June 7, 2020

TIME HAS COME AND I AM FULL OF HOPE

Dreamt I was buried alive. Well, not buried. More like planted. I was in this warm, sandy mud, and I could breathe, and the mud was filling me with strength, and I was growing, like I was a flower bulb, or a potato or something. I remember thinking "this is great!", and then my dog barked to be let out, and I woke up. I wonder if that is what is happening right now, what has been happening for the past few months as we have all sat in our homes, worrying and crying and laughing and staring into space and gardening and taking walks and calling our loved ones and getting angry at the lack of response on a federal level and marching in protest. Have we been growing, evolving, mutating into stronger, more capable people? Feels like it to me. I see the people marching, protesting, seeking truth and justice like the heroes we all are. And I feel great pride and joy in being a human being. I feel hope.

I do think some of the flowers and potatoes have been pulled early for various reasons, and are not living up to their full potential. They seem stunted, angry, sad. And make poor decisions that hurt themselves and those around them and the country and the world. We need to help these people see the light. We need to raise up our brothers and sisters, our neighbors, our friends, our enemies, our cities and nations and the entire world. We have to grow into the leaders we want and need. And I think we are. I think, in some strange way, this whole shut down global pandemic economic depression racial injustice has brought about a change that is just now beginning to be seen, like a plant just popping out of the earth. What it will grow into remains to be seen, but I have, as I said, great hope.

Last night, we had a zoom with Lisa's son and his girlfriend, who have gone to three marches so far in NYC. They live in Brooklyn, and are right in the thick of things going on right now. Hearing them speak of what they saw, listening to them share their hopes and fears and ideas was inspiring. I also saw a photo my best friend in the world shared of his niece at a protest in Montana. She is standing her ground, speaking her truth, while this man looms over her, clearly enraged. And the niece looks fierce. So inspiring.

All these people, rising up, going out in this pandemic, it's amazing. And in contrast to the protests just a few weeks ago from those who were demanding we open up our society,  most of the current protesters, who seem much larger in numbers, are wearing masks and not carrying rifles. There is rage being expressed, to be sure. And there are some who are taking advantage of the marches, just as I'm sure there were some who took advantage at the earlier protests. But the overall vibe of the moment feels like my dream last night. Vital. Full of life. A signal of change.

To bring back a phrase, yes we can. We can and we will. We shall not only overcome, we shall grow.

Here's a song. It's The Chambers Brothers, live, doing  Time Has Come Today.


2 comments:

Songwright said...

You are a flower growing in the earth. You will emerge from the earth as a seedling and grow until you are tall rose, like the roses I saw while I was walking in my neighborhood today. When the sun shines on you, it will be like your soul is receiving your own truth and your own life energy. May we all grow and rise in truth in this moment.

Songwright said...

Approach of Spring

A PIRATE'S LIFE, AN ACTOR'S LIFE, MY LIFE.

I find meaning everywhere. Not just in books and music and movies and myths, but in moments I witness as I stroll through this world.  Meani...